Tuna Bay reign

first_imgRugby League BY KILA NAO Sheer determination has put K20,000 into the pockets of Tuna Bay after they won the Justin Tkatchenko (JT) 9s senior men’s Cup Grand Final against Funeral Home Laumas Two at the Sir William Skate oval at Kaugere in the National Capital District yesterday. The entire crowd paused in the dying stages after Tuna Bay scored a try out wide to level the scores at 16-all with a conversion attempt yet to come from Karava Mafu. The kick from the sideline was rather a difficult one for Mafu who managed to hold his breath to kick the winner to run away with an 18-16 victory on the full-time hooter. However, both sides played their heads out scoring a converted try each to Lawrence Kuso Jr (Laumas) and Boge Frank (Tuna Bay) to take them through the halftime break 6-all. But the Laumas replied with good line breaks and sent John Horope for a converted try and another from Joseph Forova to take a handy 16-6 lead. But the Taurama boys replied with a brilliant individual play from Mafu who scored a converted try under the uprights to trail 12-16. They were never going to make it as time was not on their side but a good set play by Davis Mea in the opposition’s red zone allowed then to organise quickly and come up with a last ditch try at the corner to them to once level score at 16-16. The sideline kick from Mafu who added the extras to sneak a two-point buffer (18-16) to win the Cup and the handsome cash prize money will be testimony the Tuna Bay men will never forget for a long time. The Laumas were grateful to have received the runners-up trophy and K10,000 which is also a huge compliment for their efforts throughout the tournament. The other senior men’s category winners include Talai Spartans who won the Plate finals against FH Laumas 1 as runners-up while in the Bowl finals, Southern Son defeated JB Roosters. In the men’s Under 20s division, Six-Mile managed to hold off Tatana Islanders to claim the Cup while Apo Blacks claim the Plate finals and Talai Spartans 2 won the Bowl finals against Border Storms. The official presentation will be held this coming Friday at Ela Beach Hotel.last_img read more

Christensen suggests he could look to leave Chelsea

first_imgAndreas Christensen has suggested he will look to leave Chelsea if he continues to be overlooked, according to reports in the defender’s native Denmark.Christensen, 22, has not made a Premier League appearance for the Blues since Maurizio Sarri took over as boss during the summer.AdChoices广告Antonio Rudiger and David Luiz have been Sarri’s first-choice centre-backs so far this season, leaving Christensen and Gary Cahill on the fringes.Cahll has said he will look to leave in January if he is not back in the side.And, having been a regular for Chelsea last season and spent the previous two campaigns playing on loan at German club Borussia Mönchengladbach, Christensen appears to be ready to do the same.“It has been a hard season. To be honest, it has been very difficult,” Christensen has been quoted as saying.“Now I’m 22 years old and I really want to play. In the last three seasons I’ve played, so it’s clear that I do not see me staying if my current situation is also in the future.“It’s too early to talk about when to change, if I’m going to change, but it is clear that it is not a good situation for me.” See also:Barkley shines as Chelsea crush SouthamptonSarri explains decision to leave out Loftus-CheekTerry says his ‘heart will always belong to Chelsea’ as he announces retirementThe highs and lows of Terry’s Chelsea careerHughes: It’s so difficult to stop ChelseaHazard casts fresh doubt over his Chelsea futureRudiger confident of quick recovery despite injury problemLampard predicts ‘leader’ Terry will be a success as a managerLiverpool star insists Chelsea are title contendersMatic doubtful for Chelsea’s clash with Man UtdLoftus-Cheek advised to leave Chelsea by AllardyceAlonso set to sign new Chelsea contractBarkley ready to embrace role of ‘new Gazza’John Terry: The Man Utd fan who became a Chelsea legend – after almost being sold for £750kMorata predicts Hazard will not push for moveBarkley believes his best is yet to comeChelsea’s Ampadu ‘a manager’s dream’ – Giggs Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Brazilian mother reunites with 14-year-old son 8 months after separation at U.S. border

first_imgABC News(EL PASO, Texas) — A mother and son separated more than eight months ago by immigration officials at the U.S.-Mexico border were reunited at an El Paso, Texas, airport on Tuesday.Jocelyn, a 31-year-old immigrant from Brazil who asked that her last name not be used, and her 14-year-old son, James, crossed the border near El Paso illegally in August to seek asylum, she told ABC News last week.Jocelyn smiled the moment she saw saw James descending an airport escalator, walking toward him as he approached the landing.The mother shed tears of joy as she embraced her son.James was taken to a facility in Chicago but remained there even after his mother was released from criminal custody three weeks after their apprehensions.Jocelyn said that when officers took her son away, the look on his face said, “Mom, help me.”“I didn’t know what was going to happen to us,” she said. “I spent the night crying because I wanted James to be protected, and I didn’t know what was going to happen to him.”Jocelyn was in U.S. federal criminal custody for almost a month for her misdemeanor charge of entering the country illegally and then spent another six months in an immigration detention facility. She’s since been living in a West Texas shelter run by a non-profit.James was sent to center in Chicago under the watch of the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement. The two have only been about to talk once a week.“It’s a terrible thing, the experience we’ve had,” Jocelyn said in Spanish last week.The Trump administration has argued that under its “zero-tolerance” policy on illegal immigration, families are being separated because parents are breaking the law and need to be punished, and their children can’t be jailed with them.With the help of lawyers from the American Civil Liberties Union, Jocelyn is suing the government on behalf of herself and hundreds of other families that have been separated, arguing that the government has no legal right to keep families separated once parents have been released from custody without sufficient justification.A judge has yet to rule in that case.ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt, who is representing Jocelyn, told ABC News last week that the separating of undocumented family members has increased since the “zero-tolerance” policy was implemented.“Literally 3-, 4-, 5-year-olds screaming, ‘Please don’t take me away from my mommy,’ and being ripped away,” Gelernt said.Jocelyn’s attorneys told ABC News that they don’t know exactly why the reunion is finally taking place, since the judge has yet to make a ruling on the lawsuit, but they believe it’s partly because their case garnered so much attention after Jocelyn spoke to ABC News.In a motion filed last month to dismiss the case, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement argued that such cases “serve the legitimate purpose of allowing the government to carry out its immigration and criminal enforcement role” and that “plaintiffs have not provided any basis to conclude that there is a due process right to family unity that prohibited the separation.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more