Under the Microscope About the Author Reprints I’m going to #sciencemarch in Washington. Here’s why Mike Reddy for STAT STAT+ is STAT’s premium subscription service for in-depth biotech, pharma, policy, and life science coverage and analysis. Our award-winning team covers news on Wall Street, policy developments in Washington, early science breakthroughs and clinical trial results, and health care disruption in Silicon Valley and beyond. Tags educationimmigrationpolicyresearchWhite House What is it? [email protected] Sara Whitlock When the March for Science happens, I’m going to be there. I’ll be marching on behalf of muzzled government scientists who can’t share their work. I’ll be marching against a president who has said alarming things about vaccines and climate change.But I’m also going to march on behalf of scientists who should be in the US, but won’t be, because of the executive order on immigration President Trump signed on Friday. I am appalled by his temporary ban on immigration from seven nations not only for humanitarian reasons, but also because I am concerned for my fellow scientists and the scientific enterprise. Log In | Learn More Unlock this article by subscribing to STAT+ and enjoy your first 30 days free! GET STARTED Daily reporting and analysis The most comprehensive industry coverage from a powerhouse team of reporters Subscriber-only newsletters Daily newsletters to brief you on the most important industry news of the day STAT+ Conversations Weekly opportunities to engage with our reporters and leading industry experts in live video conversations Exclusive industry events Premium access to subscriber-only networking events around the country The best reporters in the industry The most trusted and well-connected newsroom in the health care industry And much more Exclusive interviews with industry leaders, profiles, and premium tools, like our CRISPR Trackr. GET STARTED What’s included? By Sara Whitlock Jan. 30, 2017 Reprints
The Ugandan energy minister, Irene Muloni, has signed a deal that will require the Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL) to export power to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in the next three years.Muloni revealed this while speaking at the launch of the ISO certification of UEGCL in Kampala last week, the Monitor reported.The minister applauded UEGCL, saying it’s the country’s first government agency to have its processes internationally certified.According to the power utility’s chief executive officer, Harrison Mutikanga, the ISO 9001: 2015 certification means implementation, monitoring, procurement and human resource management of the power generation corporation will be streamlined to international standards.Export power to DRCWith regards to the power export deal, the supply will be connected from Kasese District in Uganda to Beni city in north-eastern DRC, Butembo in North Kivu and finally to Bunia town in Ituri Province.Muloni told the Monitor that once Karuma, Isimba and other small power dams are completed, Uganda will have excess power, which would then be exported.On completion, Karuma and Isimba dams combined will generate 783MW.“The financing of the project will be about $150 million. Of that amount, Uganda will contribute about $22 million and the rest will be the responsibility of the DRC government. Once that funding is secured, it will take two years to complete the project, which could be by end of 2019 or there about,” Muloni said.Media reported that the funds will be borrowed from the African Development Bank. Read more…During the exclusive interview, Muloni said this development is part of the regional countries’ efforts to interlink their infrastructure, which initiative will also be extended to South Sudan.Leading power producerIn a recent interview, Mutikanga stated that UEGCL is aiming to be the leading power producer in the Great Lakes region.He said the utility intends to undertake feasibility studies for the above-mentioned small hydropower plants whose objective it is to promote access of electricity to the rural and remote areas of Uganda. Previous articleNigeria: Fashola unveils mini-grid regulationsNext articleDavid Richard Nicholls, Chief Nuclear Officer, Eskom Babalwa BunganeBabalwa Bungane is the content producer for ESI Africa – Clarion Events Africa. Babalwa has been writing for the publication for over five years. She also contributes to sister publications; Smart Energy International and Power Engineering International. Babalwa is a social media enthusiast. Generation Finance and Policy Low carbon, solar future could increase jobs in the future – SAPVIA RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR BRICS AFD and Eskom commit to a competitive electricity sector Homepage image: Stock UNDP China, CCIEE launch report to facilitate low-carbon development
Russia VS Qatar for President Cup, Angola against Japan to avoid bottom ShareTweetShareShareEmailCommentsWith four goals in the last four minutes, Qatar avoided the second defeat in a row at the Olympic Games in Rio! Tunisia had everything to win clash of two strong non-European teams in group A, but at the end Malash netted for 25:25 (12:11) only 12 seconds before the final buzzer, while Wael Jallouz didn’t score at the end.Tunisians were in the lead almost during whole match, but Qatari left back Rafael Capote didn’t let that his team lost all the chances. He scored 12 goals, many of them in critical moments when Valero Rivera’s squad didn’t have anything else to offer.Chourief netted for 25:21 when on clock was 56:03, but experienced Qatari squad managed to get back in the match and save realistic hopes that win against Argentina lead them to quarter-final.Boughami netted eight goals for Tunisia, while Maggaiz had 15 saves, three more than two Qatari goalies, Saric (10) and Stojanovic (2).STANDINGS:France 4Denmark 4Qatar 3Croatia 2Tunisia 1Argentina 0 Click to comment Recommended for you Pots for Olympic Handball draw! Spain secure three points and sent Tunisia to President Cup Related Items:Olympic handball, Qatari handball, tunisian handball ShareTweetShareShareEmail Leave a Reply Cancel replyYour email address will not be published.Comment Name Email Website Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Keppel FELS Limited, a subsidiary of Keppel Offshore & Marine Ltd (Keppel O&M), has secured a contract from Crystal Heights Holdings Limited, a company specialised in the offshore oil and gas market, to build a high specification liftboat worth $85 million.The liftboat is designed by Keppel O&M’s liftboat design specialist, Bennett Offshore in collaboration with Keppel FELS. Scheduled for delivery in 4Q 2017, the liftboat will have provisions enabling it to operate in China, the Middle East and the Gulf of Mexico.Liftboats are vessels used to support offshore platforms in construction, accommodation and well intervention as well as maintenance and installation.Wong Kok Seng, Managing Director of Keppel O&M (Offshore) and Keppel FELS, said, “This latest contract from Crystal Heights is the second liftboat based on Keppel’s innovative proprietary solution that Keppel has been contracted to build within a year.“We have leveraged our jackup rig technologies and expertise to develop our own series of liftboat designs that is able to value add to the industry. For instance, it will have a higher freeboard for safer operations and retractable spud cans flushed to the bottom of the rig’s hull which reduces drag when transiting between locations.“Even as the market for drilling rigs remains depressed, Keppel has the versatility and capabilities to design and build other products that are in demand, such as mobile units for plug and abandonment, accommodation and maintenance.”Kenny Cai, Director of Crystal Heights, added, “Despite the current low oil price environment, there are a large number of offshore platforms in the world that require more efficient and cost-effective solutions such as the use of a dedicated liftboat for their maintenance, upgrading as well as removal. Besides being utilised in the Gulf of Mexico and West Africa, they are also increasingly being employed by key operators in China, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.“Building our first liftboat with a reputable shipyard will enable us to establish an early foothold in the market, especially in the Asian region which currently has the least number of liftboats available per platform. Having worked with Keppel on previous projects before, I am confident that we can look forward to receiving a best-in-class liftboat from them promptly and safely.”
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Nic Moore scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half and No. 21 SMU pulled away to beat Memphis 66-57 on Thursday night.Moore’s 3-pointer with 3:27 left capped a 15-4 run for the Mustangs (23-5, 14-2 American Athletic Conference), breaking open a 48-all game. Ryan Manuel and Yanick Moreira added 11 points each to help the Mustangs win their fifth straight and 21st in 23 games.Shaq Goodwin led Memphis (17-11, 9-6) with 17 points and seven rebounds. Nick King added 14 points, connecting on five of seven shots — including both from outside the arc.The loss snapped Memphis’ winning streak at three games.Cannen Cunningham started the key SMU run, scoring all six of his points in the stretch. Moore added a jumper and a 3-pointer.Moore’s 3-pointer gave SMU a 63-52 lead. The Tigers would get no closer than six points the rest of the way.Memphis suffered with turnovers in the second half, committing eight.SMU led 30-28 at the break after a physical first half in which neither team shot better than 36 percent.Goodwin already had 13 for Memphis, but Austin Nichols, the Tigers’ leading scorer at 13.7 points a game, was limited to only two points. He missed seven of his eight shots.Moreira had nine points to lead the Mustangs.SMU would end the night going 13 of 24 from the line, while Memphis shot only seven free throws, making six.SMU led by seven early, but Memphis clicked off a 10-2 run to retake the lead. During that span, the Mustangs missed eight of their nine shots.The game became emotional at times during the first half, SMU coach Larry Brown begging for officials to call a flagrant foul against Memphis at one point, while Tigers leader Josh Pastner spent his own time heavily lobbying officials for calls.On two occasions in the first half, play was stopped after Memphis players took shots to the head, including Markel Crawford, who didn’t return from an injured jaw.With just more than a minute gone in the second half, Memphis starting guard Kedren Johnson drew his fourth foul, then added a technical for his fifth, sending him to the bench the rest of the game.TIP-INS:SMU: The Mustangs beat Memphis 73-59 on Jan. 8 in Dallas.Memphis: Nichols finished with six points, going 2 for 11 from the field. … Guard Pookie Powell did not dress for the game because of illness, further depleting the Tigers’ guard depth.UP NEXT:SMU visits UConn on Sunday.Memphis hosts Tulsa on Saturday.