Florida deputy sheriff kills 3 relatives then himself, authorities say

first_imgcarlballou/iStock(PLANT CITY, Fla.) — A deputy sheriff in South Florida took his own life near a school Wednesday after killing three people believed to be family members, authorities said.“Today, I stand in front of you with an extremely heavy heart, saddened and disheartened about the events that occurred early this morning,” Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister told reporters at a press conference. “I’m saddened but I’m also disheartened that a deputy sheriff — a Hillsborough County deputy sheriff — would ever, ever cause harm to another individual.”The unidentified deputy, who was a veteran member of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, radioed in to the main channel before 7 a.m. local time and alerted other deputies that he had “caused harm to his family” at two separate locations, according to Chronister. The deputy provided the addresses of the two residences and said he was going to kill himself at Plant City High School.It was not immediately known why the deputy chose the high school, but investigators believe it was simply because of its proximity to the two residences he had just entered.A supervisor talked to the deputy over the radio and tried to “talk him down, calm him down,” Chronister said. The deputy mentioned how much he loved the sheriff’s office and alluded that he had “some type of financial and health issues.”“We’re not aware of it, we’re not able to confirm it, but he did allude to that,” the sheriff told reporters.Meanwhile, three other deputies located the deputy to the east of the high school grounds and “made every attempt” to convince him not to commit suicide, Chronister said.“Unfortunately, the deputy took his life on scene in front of the three deputies,” the sheriff told reporters.The Plant City Police Department posted on Twitter that there is a “major police presence” on one side of the school but that “all students are safe” and “this is not a school incident.”Deputies obtained search warrants for both residences, where they found a woman and female child at one location and another woman at the other. All three died from their injuries, according to Chronister. Authorities are awaiting next of kin notifications before releasing identities, but the victims are believed to be the deputy’s close relatives.The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a motive amid the “lengthy process of putting the pieces of the puzzle together,” Chronister said.The deputy, who hasn’t been named, had been a member of the sheriff’s office since 1991. He had retired briefly two years ago and was rehired this year to provide security at a local elementary school in the wake of the Valentine’s Day shooting at a high school in Parkland, according to Chronister, who said the deputy had done “a wonderful job.”The sheriff’s office had just recently made the decision to rehire him back permanently as a full-time deputy.“There’s been absolutely no indication of any type of behavioral issues,” Chronister told reporters. “Glowing recommendations throughout his entire training process, job evaluations, again no indication whatsoever that would lead us to believe — that would lead a prude and reasonable person to believe — that this deputy would ever conduct himself in a manner that he did.”The murder-suicide comes just three months after another Hillsborough County deputy killed his wife before killing himself, which prompted the sheriff’s office to develop a suicide awareness and prevention program for its employees.“Why is this occurring, I wish I knew. But as an agency, we’re certainly being proactive,” Chronister said. “I truly believe law enforcement is no different than modern day society. We have to change the culture. We have to make sure that everyone knows that it’s OK to ask for help.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

South Africa economy could contract 8.2% if second COVID-19 wave hits…

first_imgSouth Africa’s COVID-19 cases reach 2028 South Africa records two more COVID-19 deaths South Africa reports 99 new COVID-19 casescenter_img South Africa map. Source: “World reference atlas” South Africa map. Source: “World reference atlas”South Africa’s economy could contract 8.2% this year, and grow just 0.6% in 2021, if a second wave of COVID-19 cases hits the country and its main trading partners, the OECD said on Friday.If a second wave of infections is avoided, the economy will contract 7.5% in 2020 before rebounding 2.5% next year, the OECD said in a report on Africa’s most industrialised economy.South Africa was in recession before the pandemic struck, with recurring power cuts by struggling state utility Eskom and weak business confidence dampening economic activity.President Cyril Ramaphosa’s government has promised to fast-track reforms to raise economic growth potential, but some investors are becoming restless about the pace of change.“South Africa cannot afford to delay reforms. It is essential to undertake reforms to restore long-run fiscal sustainability and growth, while continuing to support the economy in the short run,” Alvaro Pereira, the OECD’s economics department country studies director, told a news conference.National Treasury Director-General Dondo Mogajane told the news conference that low levels of productivity and competitiveness were inhibiting job creation and investment, and said the government was focused on addressing those problems.In its report, the OECD – a global organisation that seeks to promote economic growth, prosperity and sustainable development – suggested the South African government was right to prioritise reining in the public sector wage bill, which it said was high by OECD standards.The OECD proposed indexing civil servants’ salaries below inflation for three years, a move likely to exacerbate existing conflict between the government and trade unions, who are already fighting in the courts over promised wage increases.Other recommendations included developing tourism, raising investment in transport infrastructure, easing regulatory restrictions and reforming the pension system to boost coverage.Relatedlast_img read more

Mickelson beats Woods in $9m winner-take-all match

first_img(Reuters) – Phil Mickelson has played in Tiger Woods’ shadow for much of his career but got some semblance of revenge yesterday by winning their $9 million matchplay exhibition under the floodlights in Las Vegas. With the match all square through regulation, Mickelson sealed the win at the fourth hole of a sudden-death playoff when he drained a four-foot birdie putt on a makeshift 93-yard hole after the duo had teed off from a practice green.Mickelson, whose tally of five major championships is well shy of the 14 held by Woods, savoured the win over a player he had a white-hot rivalry with more than a decade ago and whom he described as the best to ever play the game.“A day like today is not going to take anything away from his greatness. He’s the greatest of all time,” Mickelson said after “The Match” at Shadow Creek Golf Club. “But to be able to have just a little bit of smack talk for the coming years means a lot to me because I don’t really have much on him. He always drops the big picture and it’s the trump card.”Golf’s first venture into pay-per-view was hyped like a Las Vegas prizefight but proved more of a pillow fight with both golfers in jovial mood, playing for a purse that was put up by sponsors and will go to a charity of Mickelson’s choice.While the event lacked the tension provided by a Sunday back nine at the Masters, Woods set up a dramatic finish when his bump-and-run from beside the 17th green, with the match on the line, found the cup and brought the match to all square. “I just did not want the match to end on that hole,” said Woods, who grabbed his only lead at the day with a birdie at 12 but gave it right back at the 13th.Woods’ shot at 17 pumped some much-needed life into the match as the players headed to the 18th where Mickelson had a 32-foot putt for the win but failed to convert.Nothing was settled when the players returned to the 18th tee for the first extra hole and so they descended on the 93-yard hole where they had to wait as the grounds crew re-cut a hole on the 18th green. “To have a day like today, I just never thought we’d go to this extra hole,” said Mickelson. “My heart just can’t take much more of it.”After the two most popular golfers of their era hit their opening tee shots at Shadow Creek, they set off for what proved to be an underwhelming round in which both failed to deliver the highlight reel-type shots that have defined their careers.Instead, Mickelson and Woods shared stories, complimented each other, laughed like long-lost friends and made side bets for eye-popping sums. While the pay-per-view event was priced at $19.99, promoters decided to offer it free online at some point during play because of what they described as technical issues that impacted user access. It is not yet known if viewers who paid for the event would be credited.Woods and Mickelson, who are among the world’s highest-paid athletes, put up their own money for the side bets, including a whopping $1 million wager if either made eagle at the ninth hole. Neither golfer was able to cash in.Mickelson also earned $600,000 for winning three closest-to-the-pin side bets after losing $200,000 for failing to make a birdie at the opening hole. Money from side bets will also be donated to charity.last_img read more

Willian Confirms Chelsea Exit Amid Arsenal Transfer Talks

first_imgThe 32-year-old forward wrote: “They were seven wonderful years.“In August 2013 when I received the offer from Chelsea, I was convinced that this was where I had to play. Today I am certain that it was the best of decisions. There were no many happy times, some sad, there were trophies and it was always very intense.“Yet, beyond the trophies, I learnt a lot about myself. I developed a great deal, becoming a better player and a better person. With each training session, with each game, with every minute spent in the dressing room, I was always learning.“I am really grateful to the Chelsea fans for the affectionate way they welcomed me at Stamford Bridge and their support throughout my time at the club.“There was also criticism, which is normal, what is important though is that both the affection and criticism drove me to always give my all in every training session, every game, to be constantly improving until my very last minute in a Chelsea shirt!“The time has now come to move on. I am certainly going to miss my team-mates. I will miss all the staff at the club who’ve always treated me like a son and I will miss the fans.“I leave with my head held high, safe in the knowledge that I won things here and always did my best in a Chelsea shirt!“My heartfelt thanks go out to all of you and God bless you! Borges da Silva.”During his time at Chelsea Willian won the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Willian has confirmed his exit from Chelsea – paving the way for Arsenal to snap him up as a free agent.The Brazilian released an emotional statement on Sunday, thanking the fans and reflecting on his seven years at Stamford Bridge.Willian is now expected to pen a contract worth £150,000-a-week at Arsenal.last_img read more

Pastore: ‘End career in Argentina’

first_img Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/ Javier Pastore said he would like to finish his career in Argentina, but thanked Roma staff for helping end his injury nightmare. Pastore, 30, has been in Europe for a decade, since leaving Argentine side Huracan for Palermo in 2009. Speaking to Radio Sucesos in Argentina, Pastore conceeded that he would like to return to his homeland and finish his career with Talleres, the club where he started out in 2007. “I want to end my career after having played for Talleres, but obviously there are many factors to evaluate. I don’t want to return to Talleres for what I’ve done in the past, but what I can still do.”  Pastore has been beset with injuries throughout his career in Europe, this has reduced him to only making 14 appearances last season. “The last two years have not been good. Thanks to the new staff of trainers and the coach (Paulo Fonseca), who have helped me, I have been able to play two games in three days, after so long. “I still had a contract with Paris Saint-Germain, but I decided to leave because I didn’t have space to play in the team anymore. I didn’t feel important to the club. I wanted to come to Roma to feel like an important player again and compete for every game.” Pastore played for the French giants for seven years, and was the first big purchase of the Qatari-led takeover of the club, when they paid €42m to sign him from Palermo.last_img read more